Moody 44 (70s) original or not ?

• Thread starter Julian Ziegler
  • Start date
J

Julian Ziegler

I am about to sell our Moody 44 ( 1974). Now a prospective buyer meant that our Moody is not original because he didn`t find the metal plate inside which should show that this is a real Moody. We never heard about that before so we would like to know if anyone knows more about it ? Does it need this metal plate to proof the originality of the Moody ? Thanks for your answers, Julian Ziegler

Hi Julian,

I don't know what metal plate he is talking about - it could be the Lloyds certificate plate which was originally screwed to the woodwork somewhere near the chart table. If that is the case, that plate is easily removed by taking out the 4 screws that hold it in place and may well have been removed by some previous owner. I'm afraid I don't have a photo of one to hand but I would guess it is about 5 cm wide and 10 cm high.

This plate, together with the Lloyds certificate, show that she was designed and built to Lloyds requirements, but without the certificate shows little about where she was built. However, it seems to me highly unlikely that anyone other than Marine Projects ever had a set of moulds to build a Moody 44 - where else does this prospective buyer think she may have been built?

Better proof of it being a real Moody is the HIN moulded into the transom - show him that.

Peter.

p.s. I just saw the age of your boat, I suspect there was no HIN in 1974. Sorry. P.

Last edited:
Hi Peter, thanks a lot for your fast reply and information. As we are not at the boat right now (it is in Sicily) I cannot have a look. But also I didn’t`t exactly understand where the „transom“ is … would I see it from inside or outside ?
Sorry for the stupid question but I’m only 21, this is my first boat and we had it only 4 weeks before the engine broke down completely… Since then she is in Sicily on a shipyard. Many thanks and best regards Julian

Hi Julian,

The transom of a boat is the flat(ish) bit across the rear end and , if your boat does have a HIN (or pseudo HIN), it will be moulded into the fibreglass near the top of the transom, probably on the starboard side, maybe port, to be read from outside. Again, I don't think I have a photo of Wild Thyme's pseudo HIN, which she certainly has. I must get some photos of these features when I'm next aboard her this coming week.

A pseudo HIN is a term I unvented for a number looking a bit like a HIN made up by the builder before the EU recreational Craft Directive required HINs on EU built yachts. Moulded in HINs were required in N America well before the EU so EU builders who wanted to sell into N America were often being asked where is the HIN - they resolved the matter by inventing numbers of their own. In the case of Wild Thyme, built in 1988, the pseudo HIN on her transom is based on the number of her Lloyds Certificate, but is not actually mentioned on either the Lloyds Certificate or the Builders Certificate issued by Marine Projects.

Peter.

oh wow, thanks so much Peter for your detailed description. I will check when we are again on our boat. best wishes, Julian

Thanks a lot, Peter, but unfortunately I can't open the foot. Julian

Hi Julian,

That's strange it opens without problem for me - it's just another page of this website, but it's possible you don't have access as a guest. One of the IT whizz kids will have to advise us!

Peter.

3AC556DE-1D1D-4E09-AEB6-DEDF532956E1.png

super, it opened ! Thanks a Lot !! Julian

Thanks Barry.

Looking closely at that one, it looks like it was glued on rather than screwed. I think your prospective buyer is talking rubbish - if the glue gives up, that plate is likely to be tossed into the chart table then thrown away at the next tidy up.

Peter.

Hi Julian
My previous boat was a 1976 Moody 33, the first Moody model to be built by Marine Projects. It didn't have a Lloyds plate. I assume your boat was built by Moodys themselves at Swanick and may well not have had the Lloyds plate either. I imagine it would have been Part 1 registered in those days as quite a big boat for the time. If you have old paperwork it would state where built.
I think the old expression of "if it looks like a duck and sounds like a duck then it probably is a duck" applies here. Highly unlikely that anyone would have copied it so your buyer is looking for problems that don't exist.
I suppose the hull and deck may have been moulded by Tylers or Halmatic rather than Moody themselves. Back in the 70's quite a few boats were sold for owner completion. I don't know if Moody ever did that but, if they did, it could be what your buyer is on about. Comparing internal layout and finish with other boats would give you a clue.
Regards
Peter

Hi Julian
My previous boat was a 1976 Moody 33, the first Moody model to be built by Marine Projects. It didn't have a Lloyds plate. I assume your boat was built by Moodys themselves at Swanick and may well not have had the Lloyds plate either. I imagine it would have been Part 1 registered in those days as quite a big boat for the time. If you have old paperwork it would state where built.
I think the old expression of "if it looks like a duck and sounds like a duck then it probably is a duck" applies here. Highly unlikely that anyone would have copied it so your buyer is looking for problems that don't exist.
I suppose the hull and deck may have been moulded by Tylers or Halmatic rather than Moody themselves. Back in the 70's quite a few boats were sold for owner completion. I don't know if Moody ever did that but, if they did, it could be what your buyer is on about. Comparing internal layout and finish with other boats would give you a clue.
Regards
Peter
Hi Peter,
Thanks a lot for your detailed answer!
I see, unfortunately I have little information about the history of our Moody and no old papers from the 70s, but what you say sounds conclusive...and yes what I know, actually the hull was built by Halmatic.
The phrase is quite good ;-), everything looks exactly like other Moodys I have seen, inside and out.
Then I can enlighten the prospective buyer.
But he keeps looking for problems that aren't there...maybe we'll just keep the Moody to ourselves :)
Regards
Julian

Hi Julian,

Sorry I started you on a wild goose chase. If the hull was moulded by Halmatic, she clearly predated Moodys partnership with marine projects which was responsible for most of their production of grp boats. You could simply tell the prospective buyer that fact and that, in consequence, she has never had a metal plate and that such a plate is no proof that a boat is a "Real Moody" anyway.

Peter.

I am about to sell our Moody 44 ( 1974). Now a prospective buyer meant that our Moody is not original because he didn`t find the metal plate inside which should show that this is a real Moody. We never heard about that before so we would like to know if anyone knows more about it ? Does it need this metal plate to proof the originality of the Moody ? Thanks for your answers, Julian Ziegler
Not sure we have one some where.
I will have a look. Incidentally you wouldn’t know where we can find what anodes we need for our Moody 44 1996 would you?
Thanks in advance.

........ Incidentally you wouldn’t know where we can find what anodes we need for our Moody 44 1996 would you?
Thanks in advance.
Paulyne, as you are now a Moody owner I hope you will join the MOA, which will enable you to use the Technical Forum, which is the place to ask this sort of question.

Back