Moody 34 Ownership history: Rapport 1985 Falmouth

• Thread starter Lucy Flannery
  • Start date
L

Lucy Flannery

Hi there, I am about to buy Moody 34 called 'Rapport' in Solent but discovered today that no VAT Paid certificate or much history of boat. It has gone through survey and is good boat which i would like to go ahead with. Broker says it was bought in 2015 by current owner from Falmouth from 2 owners Goodwin and Bowen, not record of name change. Wondering if anyone on here knows the boat/history/owners or also if anyone has every been called up by HMRC and asked about VAT certificate of 2nd hand boat. Not sure whether this is a deal breaker?. Thanks

Hi Lucy,

Sorry but the MOA doesn't offer this kind of service. If we did we would be inundated with requests, we would be giving opinions on which we had no real authority and on which we were not insured. We do hope you understand.

Regarding your VAT problem, you must use your broker - that is what you pay them for, but it is a real problem for many owners. HMRC used to help but don't seem to do so now. Original receipts or an audit trail of the purchase from Moody's or their agents are your best bet.

Because of GDPR we can't actually give out 3rd party information, even if we have it. We've also had to give up keeping historical records regarding owners.

I am really sorry to be unhelpful but "buyer beware" is an important maxim. There is nothing to beat a good survey and a reliable broker to help.

Kindest

Neil

Lucy,

regarding VAT status, the RYA offer plenty of guidance for their members and have blank T2L forms available for completion and validation by HMRC. I suggest you ask them for advice and maybe browse the on-line sailing forums. With Brexit , there is currently much interest in boat related VAT issues.
Paul

Lucy, this is a personal view but provided the vessel is in UK on the 31st December proof of VAT is unlikely to be an issue particularly for an older boat. Proof of VAT was important if you wanted to visit the EU pre Brexit, but after Brexit all non EU boats visiting the EU will be subject to temporary importation rules, irrespective of whether it is UK VAT paid or not. As Neil points out your broker should be able to advise you on that.

There should, however, be a Bill of Sale from the previous change of ownership, especially if it was jointly owned, it is this that I would be a little wary of.

Steve

Hi Lucy,
For £25 - if it is part 1 registered - HM registrar of shipping www,ukshipregister.co.uk will provide you with copies of all previous bills of sale.
Just received ours and surprised to find that it was not it's original name. They gave me everything on file which did not include any VAT data but it does show prices paid. I could see the first seller whom I assume was who registered the boat. It did not show who originally registered the boat - I assume that was Moodys. You need the boats official number and current name to progress.
May well work for Small Ships Register as well.
Agree with Steve - re VAT.
Alan King
Just retyped link below

www.ukshipregister.co.uk

Back