Moody 38 (90s) Repurposing the starboard sea-berth is a sound idea?

Bernardo van de Schepop

Temporary Member
Hello dear Associates,

Has anyone seen any revised 38cc layout that created an additional storage/working area down below?

It is my understanding that one has enough sleeping areas in the saloon for eventual passages, and the 38cc is notorious for its lack of stowage as several threads in this forum can confirm.

Thinking along these lines, as a product designer, I couldn't help but overlay the original configuration and investigate ways to expand storage next to fulfilling some work requirements,

My best idea so far was to repurpose the starboard bed area into a starboard corridor/passage to the aft cabin with additional drawers, tall cupboards, and other features. Nothing as comprehensive as Mads ‘somewhat extensive” Warrior 38 refit at Sail Life channel. I want to keep her closer to its original layout as possible.

The 38cc is the number one model on my shortlist. Its layout down below is almost perfect to me, next to its seaworthiness and beautiful lines. To get it to the best fit (for our needs) I started flirting around with potential design adaptations and the probable costs involved to add to my overall investment.

I can't help it. I have the urge to visualize it before I visit any 38cc candidates. My sketches are just guesswork for now, drawn from schemes, measurements, and photographs found online.

It would be great to have a reality check and hear from this lively forum if anyone knows about adaptations done to a 38cc layout that could be a source of inspiration.

Any thoughts? Pointers?

That will be much appreciated.

Thank you!
Bernardo.

Hello,
Not really an answer to your query but on our 38cc we found that the starboard passage berth could very neatly accomodate "Really Useful Boxes" along the whole length stacked 1 + 1/2 box high or 2 high, creating a lot of storage in addition to all the lockers already there. The boxes were held in by the edge of the bunk and the lee cloth.
regards Steve

Hey Steve!

Thank you very much for your first-hand experience with that space. I was indeed thinking along those lines. I can share a clearer sketch once I have the measurements right after visiting the boat.

Thank you for the reply. It already helps thinking.

To close this topic, I found that M39 has the solution I was designing for. Making more stowage on that aft cabin passage. Done. Thank you!

Hello dear Associates,

Has anyone seen any revised 38cc layout that created an additional storage/working area down below?

It is my understanding that one has enough sleeping areas in the saloon for eventual passages, and the 38cc is notorious for its lack of stowage as several threads in this forum can confirm.

Thinking along these lines, as a product designer, I couldn't help but overlay the original configuration and investigate ways to expand storage next to fulfilling some work requirements,

My best idea so far was to repurpose the starboard bed area into a starboard corridor/passage to the aft cabin with additional drawers, tall cupboards, and other features. Nothing as comprehensive as Mads ‘somewhat extensive” Warrior 38 refit at Sail Life channel. I want to keep her closer to its original layout as possible.

The 38cc is the number one model on my shortlist. Its layout down below is almost perfect to me, next to its seaworthiness and beautiful lines. To get it to the best fit (for our needs) I started flirting around with potential design adaptations and the probable costs involved to add to my overall investment.

I can't help it. I have the urge to visualize it before I visit any 38cc candidates. My sketches are just guesswork for now, drawn from schemes, measurements, and photographs found online.

It would be great to have a reality check and hear from this lively forum if anyone knows about adaptations done to a 38cc layout that could be a source of inspiration.

Any thoughts? Pointers?

That will be much appreciated.

Thank you!
Bernardo.
We have just redesigned our starboard passage birth we now have a fridge freezer , work station and sliding door storage witch still allows access to the underside , then we went a step further and made a cupboard at the end accessible from the rear cabin , happy to answer questions we are also posting a video of the project on sailing Guditta via YouTube

We have just redesigned our starboard passage birth we now have a fridge freezer , work station and sliding door storage witch still allows access to the underside , then we went a step further and made a cupboard at the end accessible from the rear cabin , happy to answer questions we are also posting a video of the project on sailing Guditta via YouTube
That is what I'm talking about. Thank you for sharing! I follow you already! Andy has been bouncing ideas with me on M38 (90s). He sent me your videos. I have listened to it all. Friendly and informative. Today I visited a M376. Visiting M-38cc and a M-S38. Making a final call on my boat soon enough. :)

Hello @Julie Collins, I see no video on the berth adaptations you made. Any project photos you can share? I would be very interested. John is a wood worker, right?

Th
Hello @Julie Collins, I see no video on the berth adaptations you made. Any project photos you can share? I would be very interested. John is a wood worker, right?
the video not posted yet and yes Johnny's a retired carpenter, that said the modifications are well within the scope of a reasonable handy man
If you’d like more details contact us on Instagram
I’m sure we can get so clips for you and have a good old natter on all things 38

That is what I'm talking about. Thank you for sharing! I follow you already! Andy has been bouncing ideas with me on M38 (90s). He sent me your videos. I have listened to it all. Friendly and informative. Today I visited a M376. Visiting M-38cc and a M-S38. Making a final call on my boat soon enough. :)
Fingers crossed for you you won’t be disappointed

Back