Moody 346 Searching for a twin keel in the Irish Sea

Grier Thompson

Temporary Member
Hello Moody Owners and Happy New Year to you all.
For 2022, my first resolution is to find that elusive larger twin keel yacht with an easily manageable rig, a reliable and powerful engine and comfortable accommodation.

I’ve owned Westerlys for the last 22 years including a 36’ twin keel but I’m broadening the search for my next yacht and trying to be flexible. I was tempted by a M31 MkII but am redoubling my efforts to find a M346 or similar for sale in a location close enough to my drying dock home port in N Wales to make the viewing trip manageable in a day.

The M31 is a good package but I would appreciate some general guidance from Moody owners concerning what you feel are the comparative strengths and weaknesses of the larger M333, M346, M36 and M37 yachts.
Many thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Grier

Hi Grier and welcome,
Have you looked at the Eclipse 33? Twin keel was an option, in-mast reefing makes for a very easily manageable rig and the accommodation is excellent for a couple plus single guest, good for 4 (although the double berth in the aft cabin is a little short for my 6'1"). The heads is palatial and the saloon seating a real luxury once at rest. There's as much space aboard as on many yachts far longer. Engine-wise, the original Penta 2003 is usually very reliable and even the 28HP unit is well able to push the boat along at 6kts.

Hi Paul,
Thanks for your welcome and advice regarding the Eclipse 33. I just had a very quick look online and you’re right, looks like a very interesting layout. I’ll investigate further tomorrow.
Many thanks again,
Grier

Back