Moody 34 Transom trim

• Thread starter Joseph Wright
  • Start date
J

Joseph Wright

Hello forumites. I'm looking for a Moody 346 or possibly 34 in the spring.

Looking at those recently for sale, I notice many of the 34s have a metal strip/trim on the port quarter; a 90 degree, conformal piece of stainless steel(?). It only seems to be on the port side, not symmetrical (something with which I might struggle, aesthetically!), and not on every boat.

Can anyone shed some light on the purpose, and why it's not present on all boats? Is it an elective addition, a repair, strengthening? Does it cover some weakness or failure? It would be good to know before starting the viewing/survey process.

Many thanks for any replies.

I am a previous owner of an M346 and am quite familiar with the M34.
I am unable to identify what you describe. I have just looked at many of the M34 for sale listings and still cannot identify what you describe.
A copy of a picture from an advertisement or a link to one might help to identify this piece of Stainless Steel on the port quarter.
Is it above or below the waterline? The only feature I know of on the port quarter is the engine exhaust outlet which is on the waterline.

Thanks for replying. Here are some stock images, for reference. I hope they make it a bit clearer.

1986-moody-34--4.jpg
6716703_20180518232719519_1_XLARGE.jpg

That makes it clear., though I have never seen it before on a Moody.
Sometimes added to protect the quarter of both GRP and wooden hulls from damage maybe when entering or leaving a marina pontoon berth, or stern-to mooring. May also protect against mooring line chafe to hull.
However if needed it may be fitted to both quarters.
Not really structural just damage prevention.
Similar protection more common on the stem to protect against damage from bow anchors.

Hi,

I note that a kedge is stowed on the pushpit just above the offending bit of stainless - I suspect the stainless is there to offer protection from the cable when deploying the kedge, particularly as the added on bathing platform prevents deploying it directly over the stern.

I've never seen that before. Your best route is to ask the vendor!

Peter.

Thanks for the replies; much appreciated.

Hi Joseph
I would say definitely added after purchase. We have a 34 and since getting into the Mediterranean could have done with this add on both stern quarters. We are currently in Greece and at least once a season when moored stern too on a quayside end up grinding one of these corners against the quay if someone catches our anchor or there is a very heavy wind.
It also would be invaluable to protect against the kedge anchor cable as Peter suggests.
So certainly not essential, especially if you aren't intending Mediterranean sailing, and odd if just one side, but no bad thing.

I've seen them fitted in a rubber extrusion on Bavaria etc, but never on a Moody.

Brilliant boats by the way.

Happy sailing
Andy

Back