Non Boat Specific VAT

Tom Shaw

Registered Guest
If I have understood the current situatiion, should I buy a yacht from Europe that wasn't in the UK when BREXIT happened and bring her to the UK to stay then I will have to import VAT. And the amount will relate to her valuation, but not necessarily to the price I have paid for her.
So is there a valuation guide available for Moody yachts that customs use, similar to a "Parkers used car guide" but for boats ?
Thanks Tom

When I imported my M425 a few years ago I was able to negotiate a mutually agreeable valuation with HMRC for the purposes of the VAT due.
It bore no relationship to the purchase price or it's market value and was obviously biased in my favour.
Perhaps that is also the current situation.

Hi Tom,
The lady I talked to in the HMRC marine office was very friendly and helpful.
After transferring the money to HMRC I received a laminated VAT receipt to attach to my Bill of Sale for the vessel.

Tom, I have just gone through this process and achieved a very satisfactory outcome. I would be happy to talk it though with you if it would be of any help. Just remember that UKCA law (UK version of RCD) come into affect in 1/1/23 and the last time I checked could affect every boat that is imported to the UK. A couple of links here to look at (there may be others):

https://www.hpi-ceproof.com/news/if...at-from-europe-does-it-have-to-be-ukca-marked (note date was extended to 1/1/23)

When I was looking into this, no one was really sure how it was going to be implemented, there may be more clarity now. It may be that it will not be as much of a headache as first thought but it is worth checking it out before committing to importing a boat after 31/12/22.

Steve

Tom, I have just gone through this process and achieved a very satisfactory outcome. I would be happy to talk it though with you if it would be of any help. Just remember that UKCA law (UK version of RCD) come into affect in 1/1/23 and the last time I checked could affect every boat that is imported to the UK. A couple of links here to look at (there may be others):

https://www.hpi-ceproof.com/news/if...at-from-europe-does-it-have-to-be-ukca-marked (note date was extended to 1/1/23)

When I was looking into this, no one was really sure how it was going to be implemented, there may be more clarity now. It may be that it will not be as much of a headache as first thought but it is worth checking it out before committing to importing a boat after 31/12/22.

Steve
Thanks Steve, My interest is to help my search for my next boat. I'm looking for a Moody 38 or 376 and the inport vat had put me off looking outside of the U.K.
However, I now think it could be worth doing the sums. If I was able to calculate how much the inport vat would be and if it was a relatively easy sail back to Cornwall (e.g. from N. France) then I could carry out a price comparison which would increase my search area. This may be necessary as there doesn't seem to be many 38 ft Moodys for sale in the U.K.

OK Tom, as I said, I would be happy to talk you through the process that I used if you go down that route.
Steve

OK Tom, as I said, I would be happy to talk you through the process that I used if you go down that route.
Steve
Hi Steve, I’m just looking at buying a boat in the eu as well and would appreciate any information on the process my no is 07767638184
thanks Garry

A small clarification to the initial post (to avoid misunderstandings):

Even if a boat was in the UK at time of Brexit and has been subsequently sailed to Europe - for RGR to apply (returned goods relief, i.e. no VAT when returning to the UK), the exporter and importer needs to be the same person.

So even if you found a UK-owned and UK-homebased boat on e.g. the French/NL coast, performing transfer of ownership in that non-UK port would trigger waiving RGR. Thus, you would have to negotiate delivery by the previous owner to the UK and transfer at a location in the UK to avoid having to pay UK VAT.

Thanks for this additional bit of clarification. What a palaver ! Hopefully I will find what I'm looking for in the uk and not have to import one.

Back