Moody 376 Would you do it?

• Thread starter Jennifer Spencer
  • Start date
J

Jennifer Spencer

She's a late '80s 376 going for circa £45K.
You're a practical sort... whizzing through the shore-based RYA Day Skipper, keeping fingernails nice and short, staying physically fit and diesel-engine-curious. But you've sailed twice, ever, and know nowt about Moodys.
Would you do it?

Yes! :oops: Just have

Jennifer,

Yes, nice big stable boat and very popular with lots of advice on how to do stuff in the forums. Capable of sailing around the Solent or around the Atlantic, your choice or do both :)

Jennifer,

Yes, nice big stable boat and very popular with lots of advice on how to do stuff in the forums. Capable of sailing around the Solent or around the Atlantic, your choice or do both :)
Thanks Pete. Are you the proud owner of a 376?
Around the Atlantic sounds about right...as opposed to across...

Jennifer. I also just bought a late 80’s 376. My first “big” boat. Knew nought about moody’s But wanted something that I could escape reality with from time to time. Hopefully will be on the water next march after the refurbishment.

Jennifer. I also just bought a late 80’s 376. My first “big” boat. Knew nought about moody’s But wanted something that I could escape reality with from time to time. Hopefully will be on the water next march after the refurbishment.
Congrats Marc! 'Refurbishment' sounds interesting. Does she need a lot of work doing? How are her keel bolts looking?

I have a "blog" of sorts going on over at sailing anarchy http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?/topic/217054-refurb-1988-moody-376/& asking questions about general stuff, and just making a record of whats going on with some pretty gruesome pics of what happens when a boat isn't used.

But Ive been here at MOA asking about more specific moody stuff. Keel bolts look fine. the PO who was also the original owner had covered them in silicone or wax. there was some rust, but nothing that I'm overly concerned about. Ive been battling some minor leaks in the deck, windows, gland fittings, replacing broken seacocks, rebedding shroud cover plates, servicing engine and generator, etc My boat sat on the hard for 5-6 years not being used, so I'm probably going overboard in some cases.

How's it going so far, James? What persuaded you to go for it, and do you have any tips?
Hi Jennifer. No tips I'm afraid, being a newbie like you. I procrastinated for many years, and the lockdown prompted me to make up my mind. I wasn't particularly looking this year, due to finances, but a M33 came up which needed some works and I decided to take the plunge. So far I have takne her out of the water to carry out some maintenance issues, hoping to put her back in a few weeks.
I narrowed down my options to Moodys, due to the build quality, looks, excellent Owners Association etc.
Good luck.

I have a "blog" of sorts going on over at sailing anarchy http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?/topic/217054-refurb-1988-moody-376/& asking questions about general stuff, and just making a record of whats going on with some pretty gruesome pics of what happens when a boat isn't used.

But Ive been here at MOA asking about more specific moody stuff. Keel bolts look fine. the PO who was also the original owner had covered them in silicone or wax. there was some rust, but nothing that I'm overly concerned about. Ive been battling some minor leaks in the deck, windows, gland fittings, replacing broken seacocks, rebedding shroud cover plates, servicing engine and generator, etc My boat sat on the hard for 5-6 years not being used, so I'm probably going overboard in some cases.
Interesting blog. Looks like I purchased about the same time as you, but you have done much more than I have in that time.

Interesting blog. Looks like I purchased about the same time as you, but you have done much more than I have in that time.
visited the boat 22 days doing work. some times by myself (which is a drag), sometimes with a friend or two that are willing to help. the extra hands are nice, as some jobs you need an extra hand, plus its nice to be able to chat with someone while you work.
What kind of shape is your 33 in

She's a late '80s 376 going for circa £45K.
You're a practical sort... whizzing through the shore-based RYA Day Skipper, keeping fingernails nice and short, staying physically fit and diesel-engine-curious. But you've sailed twice, ever, and know nowt about Moodys.
Would you do it?
My boating history is similar to yours. I bought my 376 about 18 months ago, and lifted her to carry out a few essential maintenance tasks. Due to work commitments, and later the current covid troubles, it was only last month that I was able to have her back in the water. The PO sailed her short handed to the Caribbean a few years ago, and then returned with her single-handed, so I know she's capable. In time, I'm hoping to show that I am equally capable. Lovely boat.

Back