• Have you included your external contact details on this post? Please include your email address and or phone number on your post otherwise non MOA members will not be able to reply to you

Sold Carpet for Moody 333 - good home required.

John Heaney

John Heaney
Boat name
DAYLIGHT OF HYTHE
Berth
Vodice, Croatia
Boat type
Moody 333
Cruising area
Adriatic
Carpet for Moody 333 - good home required.

Our 333 is in the Adriatic. We found it very difficult to buy carpet there, so had the idea that we would measure up and purchase carpet in UK and ship it down to the boat. Well, cost of shipping and paper work now needed to import into the EU knocked that on the head.

So we have a carpet that is roughly cut up into sections to fit the fore peak, main cabin, passage way and aft cabin of a Mood 333. It will just need trimming to size as it is fitted. The the carpet is free to anyone who is willing to collect from post code: SO53 1PZ.

john h

Last edited:
Hi John,
May we have “ first dibs” on the carpet, please, for our S31.
Head of Admin, Catering, Soft Furnishings and Below Decks would like to know more. Eg, what colour(s) it is, is it specifically made for “marine” use, and what sort of backing it has? Any vague dimensions would help.
Do you know the make / colour code?
We were just discussing the need to replace our carpet this weekend, as the backing is starting to disintegrate. And Southampton is not too far from Poole, so this looks like a "win win"!
KInd Regards,
Stuart and Fiona Bursey
bursey.yachtsandknots@gmail.com

PS Very jealous of you in Croatia: We have chartered there every since 2015. Wonderful!

Last edited:
Hi John,
May we have “ first dibs” on the carpet, please, for our S31.
Head of Admin, Catering, Soft Furnishings and Below Decks would like to know more. Eg, what colour(s) it is, is it specifically made for “marine” use, and what sort of backing it has? Any vague dimensions would help.
Do you know the make / colour code?
We were just discussing the need to replace our carpet this weekend, as the backing is starting to disintegrate. And Southampton is not too far from Poole, so this looks like a "win win"!
KInd Regards,
Stuart and Fiona Bursey
bursey.yachtsandknots@gmail.com

PS Very jealous of you in Croatia: We have chartered there every since 2015. Wonderful!
Hi Stuart, I emailed you earlier today, but not sure you got it ?

Hi John.
I am too far away for the carpets.
I was hoping for some guidance on what to look for when replacing carpets.
I need to replace both of them in the cabins (aft/fore).
I got the original ones that I was planning to get to a carpet store to have new ones cut.
My question is around what kind of material to ask for.
Thanks.

Hi,

I notice you have a 346, that should not be that much different to the 333 that we have as far fitting carpet goes.

Soon after we purchased our 333 over 20 years ago we decided to fit a new carpet. In an earlier boat we chose a cord type carpet with a foam back, which was a big mistake as the foam soon disintegrated. This time we again chose a cord type carpet, but this time with a felt back. This lasted very well, around 20 years, until we replaced it with a similar carpet recently.

To fit the carpet we measured the area, adding around 2" all around and cut it out roughly. We then laid the carpet down in the area it was to be fitted and cut to exact size with a sharp Stanley Knife (I believe you call these a Box cutter?) Anyway, if you are reasonable careful, it should all go well. When fitting the carpet in the saloon, we removed the table, fitted the carpet, and then replaced the table. If I remember correctly, the passage way is a difficult shape, so needed a little more care when cutting to exact size.

Hope this helps.

john h

Hi,

I notice you have a 346, that should not be that much different to the 333 that we have as far fitting carpet goes.

Soon after we purchased our 333 over 20 years ago we decided to fit a new carpet. In an earlier boat we chose a cord type carpet with a foam back, which was a big mistake as the foam soon disintegrated. This time we again chose a cord type carpet, but this time with a felt back. This lasted very well, around 20 years, until we replaced it with a similar carpet recently.

To fit the carpet we measured the area, adding around 2" all around and cut it out roughly. We then laid the carpet down in the area it was to be fitted and cut to exact size with a sharp Stanley Knife (I believe you call these a Box cutter?) Anyway, if you are reasonable careful, it should all go well. When fitting the carpet in the saloon, we removed the table, fitted the carpet, and then replaced the table. If I remember correctly, the passage way is a difficult shape, so needed a little more care when cutting to exact size.

Hope this helps.

john h
Thank you John. This helps a lot to avoid repeating the same mistakes.

I would say never use rubber backed carpet on a boat, as once wet it can get stuck to the sole boards and it will perish with age (quickly in hot climates).
IMHO good old fashioned Hessian backed carpet is best, but unfortunately most modern carpets are now not woven into the Hessian but are glued on (cheaper to manufacture) and the glue will be subject to deterioration. Perhaps try to find a quality carpet which is woven and not glued.

I would say never use rubber backed carpet on a boat, as once wet it can get stuck to the sole boards and it will perish with age (quickly in hot climates).
IMHO good old fashioned Hessian backed carpet is best, but unfortunately most modern carpets are now not woven into the Hessian but are glued on (cheaper to manufacture) and the glue will be subject to deterioration. Perhaps try to find a quality carpet which is woven and not glued.
Paul, thank you for the advise.

Hi Uriel

I replace my 346 carpets with acrylic bathroom carpet - you don't need very much , just a couple of Sq metres. As I recall I found an offcut from a local carpet store in grey which was a close match (in colour) to the original. I used the old carpet as a pattern and to finish it off I used 'easybind' ( see https://www.stair-rodsdirect.co.uk/accessories/easy-bind/ ( I am sure you can get this in the US) which makes it look like you have bound the edges but its stuck on with a hot glue gun. The aft carpet was held down with 'popper' studs so it could be easily removed to get to the inspection hatches underneath, the forward cabin carpet (and the piece under the chart table) was glued down. After 30 odd years this glue had pretty much failed so it was easy to get up. I reused the popper studs to fix down the aft carpet and use spray contact adhesive to fix down the other carpets. With the 'fake binding' it made a really good job of it. I replace the carpets about 3 years ago and they still look as good a new.

Kindest

David

Hi Uriel

I replace my 346 carpets with acrylic bathroom carpet - you don't need very much , just a couple of Sq metres. As I recall I found an offcut from a local carpet store in grey which was a close match (in colour) to the original. I used the old carpet as a pattern and to finish it off I used 'easybind' ( see https://www.stair-rodsdirect.co.uk/accessories/easy-bind/ ( I am sure you can get this in the US) which makes it look like you have bound the edges but its stuck on with a hot glue gun. The aft carpet was held down with 'popper' studs so it could be easily removed to get to the inspection hatches underneath, the forward cabin carpet (and the piece under the chart table) was glued down. After 30 odd years this glue had pretty much failed so it was easy to get up. I reused the popper studs to fix down the aft carpet and use spray contact adhesive to fix down the other carpets. With the 'fake binding' it made a really good job of it. I replace the carpets about 3 years ago and they still look as good a new.

Kindest

David
very creative. Thank you David.

Back