Non Boat Specific Considering Moody 42/44...thoughts verses Beneteau/Hunter?

Tj Penton

Registered Guest
Hello Everyone.

I'll soon be in the market for a full time liveaboard. Either purchasing in the U.S. (Then crossing to stay most often in the med) or purchasing in U.K. or EU. And am looking at either the 42 (years 88-1991/99-2002) or 44 (years 91-96). I prefer these due to the craftsmanship, center cockpit and overall layout since it will be a full time liveaboard.

I've read conflicting reports on some models, if either the 42/44 have a deck or keel stepped mast...Can anyone confirm either way? Also, since Moody was not as widely manufactured like a Hunter or Beneteau, do owners find it difficult finding replacement parts?

And I would like everyones thoughts comparing the Moody 42/44's to others like the Hunter 42cc & Beneteau 42/44. I'm sure most would consider the Moody the most seaworthy of the bunch, but I would like to understand what specifics may make it a better choice in what type of situations. Thoughts and opinions?

Thanks everyone for your time & advice. I hope to be speaking a lot more to many of you in the future. Cheers!

TJ my M44 is 1994 & has a deck stepped mast. I have never seen one with a keel stepped mast. As far as I know there are no official spares available for either model but owners have learnt where certain spares are available from & in a lot of cases they are logged in the technical library. I stepped from a Jenneau Sun Odyssey 35 to a M44 & there is no comparison apart from the Jenneau was faster but a lot less stable.

David.

TJ my M44 is 1994 & has a deck stepped mast. I have never seen one with a keel stepped mast. As far as I know there are no official spares available for either model but owners have learnt where certain spares are available from & in a lot of cases they are logged in the technical library. I stepped from a Jenneau Sun Odyssey 35 to a M44 & there is no comparison apart from the Jenneau was faster but a lot less stable.

David.
Thank you so much for your input and time. The 44 does look great! Did you make any adjustments to the standing rigging? Or any other serious upgrades/modifications? Thanks

I’ve got a year 2000 M42 and lived aboard her for two years while travelling the Med. Solid as a rock with lots of storage and a keel cooled fridge (good for warm weather and uses less electricity). Mast is deck stepped. Not as fast as some other boats but more comfortable and very robust. Centre cockpit makes it easy to add lots of solar which is important when anchoring for extended periods. Parts don’t tend to be Moody specific. Replacing forward and aft heads pipes is an absolute pain. The rear requires you to cut a big hole on the shower panel to access the cable tied pipe in order to get it out. The water tanks (plastic) are a little a bit thin and can fatigue/leak (as mine did). You can remove them to inspect and get them welded (as I did). Best to check out before you leave on a long trip.

I’ve got a year 2000 M42 and lived aboard her for two years while travelling the Med. Solid as a rock with lots of storage and a keel cooled fridge (good for warm weather and uses less electricity). Mast is deck stepped. Not as fast as some other boats but more comfortable and very robust. Centre cockpit makes it easy to add lots of solar which is important when anchoring for extended periods. Parts don’t tend to be Moody specific. Replacing forward and aft heads pipes is an absolute pain. The rear requires you to cut a big hole on the shower panel to access the cable tied pipe in order to get it out. The water tanks (plastic) are a little a bit thin and can fatigue/leak (as mine did). You can remove them to inspect and get them welded (as I did). Best to check out before you leave on a long trip.
Thanks for the input & feedback! Much appreciated.

Back