Boat name
WHITE LADY
Berth
Largs Yacht Haven
Boat type
Moody S31
Cruising area
Clyde
Hello all. Am heading down to view S31 this weekend (in the water) so looking for some general hints on what to look out for in this vessel design please?
Are there any known problematic areas to look out for at this age on the S31 (1997). I'm thinking rudder stock / bearings, keel bolts, engine etc. Obv' wear and tear items (sails, running rigging, canvas etc) is as seen and should be reflected in price.
Also is there access to magazine reviews (that are no longer available from copyshop as in the good old days!).
Many thanks in advance.

Any takers, I head down to view tomorrow? Hopefully the rain stays off. M

I had a 1997 S31 but sold her 6 years ago.
But all in all a solid reliable boat. All Moodys have mild steel keel bolts and plates and they all go rusty if sea water has been allowed to lie in the bilge. However it’s only the visible parts that rust, the bolts themselves are invariably ok if removed.
The MD2020 engine is a reliable lump, mine never gave any problems. Tiller steering I reckon is a far better bet on that size of boat. Saildrive legs are all prone to corrosion unless anodes replaced regularly. Indeed as usual it all depends how well each owner has looked after the boat. But mine was a good reliable boat, we were sad to sell her. I gather the purchaser’s survey went very well.
Hope this helps anyway.

Thanks Dick, much aprreciated.
No survey commissioned as yet, this is first visit and any offer shall thereafter be subject to survey. Boat still in the water so underside cannot be inspected at this time.
Looking forward to the viewing, just hope the rain stays off..

Hi Mike,

I always reckon it's better to view a second hand boat in the rain first! However, fairer weather is good for a trial sail.

Hope your viewing goes well and if it's tomorrow, I hope the weather's good as I'm taking sails off.

Peter.

Well, boat visit went well, spent a lot of time both with the owner and on my own at the boat and I think she is a well used, but well kept example. I would need to spend money on her to upgrade some equipment (nav suite for starters) but to be fair a lot has already been done. My concerns -
1. Engine - original VP with no record of running hours but with heaps of invoices of annual servicing. Flashed her up and she sounds good. They are a pretty basic agricultural lump so am thinking should be okay if well maintained - have many peeps had to replace?
2. Keel bolts - or should I say studs. the nuts and backing plates show signs of rust; are these easily removed cleaned up, and torqued back down if required. I assume the studs themselves are historically sound?

Next steps. Discuss with house management when she returns and then go through and have a look together. Then onto survey/offer.

One of our problems remains the 'quality old v production newer' challenge. We have viewed a Hanse 325 and that is also a very good yacht, albeit £25k more expensive! Surprisingly the Moody held her own in downstairs space, both in the saloon and also the aft cabin of course!

My head is well scrambled with this!

We've had a 1997 S31 for 6 years (per Dick's post above) - I don't anticipate any trouble with keel bolts. Just tidy them up if a bit rusty - info on keel bolts ad infinitum on this site, as well as a wealth of info on all aspects of the S31.
Bilges should be dry.
Many mid 80's Moodys still have an original Volvo in situ, although they are now beginning to be replaced. I think (hope) that any reasonably well maintained mid 90's MD2020B should give many years of service. Have only seen 1 on this forum being replaced.
At 19hp it is pretty economical to run (but fitting a good folding prop is an advantage).
Saildrive gaiter is supposed to be replaced every 7 years.
The saildrive needs a new anode every season - an additional hull anode connected to the gearbox is a good idea if you are plugged in a fair bit.
Very pleased with ours, having upsized after 9 years with a M28.

Mike

I have owned Pisces, a 1995 S31 for 13 years and have just sailed her back from Greece. For me that trip proved that she is a sound and stable boat, we had a variety of weather conditions thrown at us and even survivied an Orca attack with minimum damage. When in Greece we used to live on board, for 2 months or so and cruised off grid where we could. In my view the S31 is one of the best boats for living aboard for extended periods compared with other boats of a similar size. Aside from some of the mods previously mentioned, if you are going to be anchoring a lot (and we did) an electric windlass is a must.

We clocked up quite a few engine hours on our delivery back to UK, so took the decision to remove the engine (the original 2020) for a workshop overhaul as the saildrive seal was also due for replacement. On close inspection very little was found to be of concern

Transom step hinges can be a bit of a problem, they are chrome plated, mine are past their best so looking for replacement.

There are a couple of magazine reviews, one of which features Dick and his S31, Cornsilk, I do have copies if they are of interest. Email me at stevclem@aol.com

When I come to sell Pisces, it will be because I can no longer sail, I would not contemplate replacing her with another boat!!

I hope the management committee approves, you won't be disappointed if it passes all other inspections, surveys etc.

Steve

Adam / Steve

Many thanks both for your feedback, it is exactly what I needed. Pic of keelbolts attached, shall be covered in any survey anyways.
Good point on the transom step hinges, never checked that.
Saildrive seal is in date (though 7y is absolutely ridiculous and both Volvo & Yanmar really need to review this based on condition assessment of renewed seals over the years, they have good historical data - rant over!). Anodes changed religiously and folding prop in place.
Next step - hopefully heading across this coming weekend for a further look with Mrs I.

Footnote; had a Westerly Tempest out in Turkey then Greece for several years before the kids came along. A couple of sailing chums had Moody's and I've always had a itching for one from that time, granted the 31 was not an S31 but still had the edge on my Westerly..
Thanks again.

Attachments

• S31 keelbolts.jpg
    S31 keelbolts.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 190
Hi Mike,

Judging by that photo, there's not a lot wrong with those keel fastenings. If you clean them up thoroughly and repaint with a tougher paint, e.g. Hammerite, they will last another 20 years. I believe Marine Projects used flowcoat because it is easier when they're already flowcoating the bilge, but it's a bit too brittle for painting the steel studs, nuts and backing plates.

If you want to know more about keel fastenings in Moodys, check here:

However, unless some of the other studs look a lot worse than those in the photo, I don't think you should have any concerns. Of course, it's always the least accessible ones that are in the worst condition.

Peter

Hi Mike,

Judging by that photo, there's not a lot wrong with those keel fastenings. If you clean them up thoroughly and repaint with a tougher paint, e.g. Hammerite, they will last another 20 years. I believe Marine Projects used flowcoat because it is easier when they're already flowcoating the bilge, but it's a bit too brittle for painting the steel studs, nuts and backing plates.

If you want to know more about keel fastenings in Moodys, check here:

However, unless some of the other studs look a lot worse than those in the photo, I don't think you should have any concerns. Of course, it's always the least accessible ones that are in the worst condition.

Peter
Thanks Peter, appreciated.

Good morning all.
Well, very close now to conclusion of purchase of S31 :) subject o survey.
Any recommendations for Yacht Surveyor Clyde based (boat in Largs) pref' with experience of S31?

.....soon to be a grown-up member.
M

If you can use a YDSA surveyor, you can see a list here for those in Scotland:

Thanks Steve, appreciated. There are a few S31's on the Clyde so hoping a member has experience and can recommend one.
If not, I'll select one as listed. Tks again.

The brokers in Largs used to be one of the main Moody dealers and my S31 came from there.

Greetings all
Just a quick update on the purchase of the S31 I am pursuing. Went to survey and unfortunately a couple of issues came up that need sorting before transfer is completed.
1. Movement visible in the for'd part of the keel / hull interface when the boat was lifted out and landed on timber on keyside. So, for'd keel inspection & replacement as necessary required there.
2. Hopefully get some feedback on this one - there was significant corrosion at the base of the mast compression post, more the base plate it sits on (which I think may need replacing) rather than the CP itself, which from the surveyors pics looks treatable. AS the per the keel-bolt backing plates and nuts, I expected this plate was also mild steel? Anyone any experience of similar?

Anyways - these things are all fixable and have thus gone back with required repairs through broker and await response. Hopefully, will know by cob tomorrow if repairs and tx of ownership will go ahead, or if I have to start the search process again!

Bit of a saga..

Hi Mike

If the keel is moving relative to the hull, the only cure I know is to drop the keel and remake the joint. Depending on the extent of movement someone may know a less drastic cure ,but you want to be confident that the joint material is well bonded to both the keel, the hull and the keel studs. If you drop the keel that is an ideal opportunity to replace the studs, backing plates and nuts.

In other Moodys (don't know about the S31) the compression post had a steel plate welded on the bottom (all carbon steel) which sat on a grp pedestal coupled to one or two of the grp floors (transverse, near horizontal, frames). The pedestal was cored with timber which should have been hardwood, but I have heard of owners finding softwood. It's not unknown for water to have penetrated the timber causing rot so the pedestal compresses under the load. This is an extreme case and the cure I know is to strip out the compression post, open up the pedestal and recore with
hardwood (e.g. iroko) and remake the pedestal grp. You have the option of cleaning up the existing post and refitting it or making up a new copy in stainless steel.

Peter.

Thanks Peter

Video of the movement...
(ah, can't seem to attach the short video - mp4 extension).

Ref the compression post, there is no sign of any movement under compression, just the footing plate and the bottom of the CP look rather rusty and the requirement is to investigate and make good as required.

Both these items have been identified in the surveyors report (the value of a good surveyor and an associated comprehensive report cannot be underestimated in cases such as this) and as such are items that I require to be rectified by the owner prior to completion of the purchase under the terms of the purchase agreement. Awaiting response as to whether he agrees to do this (should know today), or otherwise the agreement is cancelled, deposit refunded and I have to recommence a new search unfortunately. These things are sent to try us :)

Hi Mike,

If it's just rust, it's probably not a major issue - just clean up and paint. Remember that the volume of rust produced is around 8x the volume of steel lost, so it always looks messy. Wire brush on a drill and a paintbrush.

On the keel movement, your surveyor's guidance will be best, you could ask nim to assess the intended repair method or to oversee the whole job (probably a more expensive option).

Hope you can come to agreement with the vendor and become a Moody Owner.

Peter.

Me too! If not this one, I'm sure there will be others. Being boat-less just doesn't rest well, too much time....

The rust on the compression post should be of no or little concern, clean off rust, prepare and paint. Check every couple of years. Certainly not a deal breaker. Ditto keel nuts and backing plates, surveyors always pick these up. The keel however is another matter. I have not heard of a Moody keel showing signs of movement. Any signs of grounding? That certainly does fall within the realms of the agreement and should be resolved before completion either by renegotiating the price or seller addressing the issue. If you are going to renegotiate it is worth obtaining an independent quote for the required work.

These are great boats so worth persevering.

Thanks Peter, I am very much of the same thinking as you. The compression post footing I feel is a bit messy and needs checking, but there is no evidence of stress elsewhere if it were compressing further than it should under load.
The keel is the 'risk' that, for purposes of completing the sale, would need to assume dropping the keel, and everything therafter. I cannot carry that risk into the price. The best and fairest solution, imo, is for the seller to rectify the defect, and then we can close.
Where we are, and I speculate, is that the seller will want a couple of quotes, and try and pass on a fair reduction in price, and the risk of it growing arms and legs then transfers to me. Much as I want the boat, I am not willing to accept that tx of risk.
Ironically, what this venture has given me, is clarity in the class of boat I want to own next.
Apols, for the waffle; it's late Fri night and a fine bottle of St.Emillion is feeling rather light!
It shall now roll into next week and then we shall see where it ends.
I'm not out, but I want it sorted - I have funds available but need to have them available for upgrades, not remedial works.

Tks M

Just re-read. Apols to Steve first!
Also a tad agressive, sorry. Just keen to get a solution. I sighted the keel bolts and was okay, the movement is something else.

Hi Mike,

We're looking at buying a Moody 31 with similar problems in the keel. We've just had the informal survey results today. Wondered if you had succeeded in getting the owners to carry out the repairs?

Greetings all
Just to close - final conclusion is that I have now taken ownership of my Moody S31, a bit of a journey but we got there (probably when it may have been easier to walk away)! Tks to all for support, it was much appreciated.

Karen
Don't know the specifics for your offer but mine was subject to survey, and therefore I requested the owner paid for the repairs or I was going to withdraw. In the end, for peace of mind, we had all the keep bolts replaced and as this was over and above the necessary repair scope we reached an agreement of shared cost. For me, I now have new keel bolts which should be good for anther 20yrs+ so I can focus on other areas now. Good luck.

Many thanks for your reply. And glad to hear you resolved things. Just wondered if you could let us know how much it cost to replace the bolts, and how many were present? In our survey, four bolts were visible in the accessible bilges, but the table was in the way of ones further forward.

Hi Karen

Was something like £1.6k all in to replace all 7 keel bolts - remember S31 not M31 though so not sure she'll have 7. As you say, some easier to access than others! G'luck..

Back