• Have you included your external contact details on this post? Please include your email address and or phone number on your post otherwise non MOA members will not be able to reply to you

Moody 31 Megstone for sale

Howard Williams

Howard Williams
Boat name
MEGSTONE
Berth
Ardrossan
Boat type
Moody 31
Cruising area
Scotland West Coast
Our wonderful Moody 31 mk1, Megstone, is for sale from the end of July. Creaky old age has eventually caught up with us, hence the reluctant sale. Extensive inventory of this bilgekeel Wheel Steered boat, built in 1984 and some of the inventory highlights are as follows.

Engine replaced with Beta 30hp six years ago, run time to date around 600 hrs. Cockpit tent and new spray hood, 2017, new Dodgers 2022, zipped sail cover with lazy jacks 2018, all matching colours. JRC radar, Garmin gps, Matsutec AIS feeding a internal router allowing AIS targets on Wi-Fi units such as the iPad running navionics. PC based navigation systems feeding routes to the gps with Clipper repeater, depth and wind instruments. New (2) batteries 2022, 120 ah services, 115 ah crank, controlled using Voltage Sensitive Relay to switch charging. Bruce anchor with 30m of 10 mm chain and 50m of 8 mm, S&L manual windlass with 10 mm gypsy. Seago 4 man canister life raft, now out of date and needs servicing. Sails new in 2008, laser cut in HongKong, and have been the best sails I’ve ever used. Reefing and main halyard back to cockpit.

Also, Megstone comes equipped with shore power, 50 watt solar panel, fitted two battery charger, 1000 watt mains inverter, Isotherm fridge (new 2019) Eberspacher 2000 watt heater (new 2016), Cello TV/DVD, ST2000 tillerpilot. Also fitted is a 90 litre holding tank with electric pump out and Plastimo twin burner,grill and oven cooker. Numerous ropes, four large fenders, vacuum cleaner (mains run cyclone) wrap around storm jib, Fortress kedge anchor, LED lights fitted throughout, with several cigar lighter power sockets and several USB charging points.

Some things need some loving care and attention, though nothing extensive, and a reasonable price is expected.

Megstonewill be in the water in the Clyde marina in Ardrossan until the end of the first week inAugust thereafter ashore. Interested potential purchasers should contact Howard Williams on heawilliams@btinternet.com.

Last edited:
Sorry, didn’t add one of the more important things. It’s a bilge.

Howard - sorry you are selling. I read in Moody Magazine that you had a fridge cubicle and isotherm 80l fridge. I'd be grateful to get some idea where you fitted it and how? I have a Moody 31 Mk 2 1987 Moonglow. At present out of the water at Largs, but to return to Dunstaffnage mooring in the summer. Have heard Ardrossan could be good to overwinter. What are the facilities like and are you allowed to stay on board in the yard. Many thanks Adrian Lowe

Adrian, I’ve only just seen this post. If you still need info. contact me on heawilliams@btinternet.com. Clyde marina do a winter package which covers lift out, pressure wash, 6 months winter storage, relaunch and two free weeks on the pontoon For less than £1k, and provides all the onshore facilities you’d want - secure storage, water and electricity. They have always recovered and launched Megstone without my attendance, and if you keep the boat in storage the rate charged is the same as that of the package, about£150 per month.
Decided to keep the boat for one last season as my rickety legs and knee have been reasonable during sailing.

Megstone no longer for sale, at least this year!

Back