Moody 336 Moody 336 and S336

Jonathan Hall

Registered Guest
Hi, Please could any members tell me what the differences are between these 2 models, other than age, particularly the interior layout and interior and exterior equipment. I assume the hull and deck moldings are the same???
Also is the 336 MkII the same as the S336?
Many thanks

Hi @Jonathan Hall

There are a couple of previous threads that addressed this question here:
On hull design - the hull is the same throughout the whole 336 range (Mk1 and Mk2). Some differences in weight have been observed between the Mk1 and Mk2 which is hypothesised to be related to the difference in fit out internally - discussed in this thread:
The cabin top has some small differences between Mk1 and Mk2 - namely the Mk2 has a slightly different window arrangement, with opening port lights in the heads and above the galley. The other major difference is the carpentry inside - the Mk1 has more storage built into the saloon, whereas the Mk2 had a more sparse fit out which feels a bit more open, but doesn't provide quite so much useful storage in the saloon or aft cabin.

The S336 is a Mk2 336, but the S336 badging was used towards to the end of production years to describe a slightly upgraded line of 336s. It generally meant slightly higher spec winches, higher spec boom, possibly higher spec main sheet track.

However as far as I can tell it is not an absolute difference, and my Mk2 336 is not badged as an S336 but does have all of the upgraded hardware that is associated with an S336 (i.e. winches, boom, rod kicker). Therefore it is suspected that the S336 badging was mainly a marketing approach to accompany the S31 and S38 models. There is nothing documented in the Moody archives that really talks about the S336 so we don't know for sure!

Fundamentally, original buyers could specify the specs of the boats when they were ordered, so you really do just have to look at each boat to understand its own individual merits I think.

Hope that's helpful!

Hi @Jonathan Hall

There are a couple of previous threads that addressed this question here:
On hull design - the hull is the same throughout the whole 336 range (Mk1 and Mk2). Some differences in weight have been observed between the Mk1 and Mk2 which is hypothesised to be related to the difference in fit out internally - discussed in this thread:
The cabin top has some small differences between Mk1 and Mk2 - namely the Mk2 has a slightly different window arrangement, with opening port lights in the heads and above the galley. The other major difference is the carpentry inside - the Mk1 has more storage built into the saloon, whereas the Mk2 had a more sparse fit out which feels a bit more open, but doesn't provide quite so much useful storage in the saloon or aft cabin.

The S336 is a Mk2 336, but the S336 badging was used towards to the end of production years to describe a slightly upgraded line of 336s. It generally meant slightly higher spec winches, higher spec boom, possibly higher spec main sheet track.

However as far as I can tell it is not an absolute difference, and my Mk2 336 is not badged as an S336 but does have all of the upgraded hardware that is associated with an S336 (i.e. winches, boom, rod kicker). Therefore it is suspected that the S336 badging was mainly a marketing approach to accompany the S31 and S38 models. There is nothing documented in the Moody archives that really talks about the S336 so we don't know for sure!

Fundamentally, original buyers could specify the specs of the boats when they were ordered, so you really do just have to look at each boat to understand its own individual merits I think.

Hope that's helpful!
Thanks Matthew, that's very helpful. Interestingly, I viewed a S336 recently that had only 1 spinnaker winch on the port combing, even though it had a pole on the mast. I thought that was very strange but as you said that must have been ordered when new.

So what exactly were the higher specs? asking as the owner of a 1994 336 (mk2).

So what exactly were the higher specs? asking as the owner of a 1994 336 (mk2).

Well it all seems very anecdotal and no one seems to know for sure! But past threads have suggested the following might be seen on a S336
  • Upgraded winches from the base spec e.g. 44ST primaries and 40ST secondaries rather than 40ST/36ST.
  • Additional spinnaker winches in the cockpit (meaning 4 sheet winches in cockpit rather than 2)
  • Upgraded boom spec with capacity for 3 reefing lines plus outhaul
  • Upgraded main sheet track spec - not sure how to identify that
  • Self-tailing winches on coachroof instead of non self-tailing
  • Inclusion of a rod kicker rather than a line-based vang
  • Other additional spinnaker hardware, maybe a pole track on the mast?
It seems to me, though, that all of these things could be either owner specified at build or owner upgraded - and my 336 (not branded S336) has all of these features.

It’s entirely possible that the S336 label was nothing other than a marketing label used for some of the latest build 336’s and that the upgraded specs were purely down to the original owner specifications…

Interestingly, I viewed a S336 recently that had only 1 spinnaker winch on the port combing
To me this just supports the hypothesis that the S336 label wasn’t that defining of spec after all

Hi Jonathan,

As you say, a single spinnaker sheet winch sounds strange, I suspect that this winch was specified by the original owner or installed by some later owner to handle the genoa furling line, hence no need for one on the other side.

Peter.

It seems to me, though, that all of these things could be either owner specified at build or owner upgraded - and my 336 (not branded S336) has all of these features.

It’s entirely possible that the S336 label was nothing other than a marketing label used for some of the latest build 336’s and that the upgraded specs were purely down to the original owner specifications…
I certainly have a fair proportion of those items in your list but also know that the spinnaker pole was an extra as it’s listed as such on the original invoice.

I certainly have a fair proportion of those items in your list but also know that the spinnaker pole was an extra as it’s listed as such on the original invoice.
I don’t have a pole either - just the mast track for it. I expect it may have had one at some point,

Back