Boat name
FREYJA
Berth
Kyles of Bute
Boat type
Moody 34
Cruising area
Scotland West Coast
Hi , I’ve a Moody 34 which I’ve owned for 17 years and really do love it . I’ve been trying to convince my wife for us to try living on it next year when my youngest goes away to uni and theoretically we could sell our house . She would like it to be bigger if we stayed on it more permanently. I’m hoping a few 44 owners might give me there opinions, ( I recon the 44 looks the best for us , the shallow draft one particularly) a few questions- can you walk from forward cabin to aft without ducking ?
I’m 5,9” ( wife’s smaller ! ) what’s it like sleeping in aft cabin with your head near the stern ? Hope your all having a great season, I’m in the west of Scotland sitting on my mooring as I type this and it’s gorgeous
Cheers Craig

Attachments

• IMG_1828.jpeg
    IMG_1828.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 46
Hi Craig,

A Moody 44 would certainly be a better bet than a 34 for living aboard, the three biggest benefits being more storage space, a roomier sleeping cabin and a larger galley. The passage cabin can serve as yet more storage space, leaving the forward cabin as a guest room, with it's own en suite. On our 425, predecessor to the 44, sleeping with your head near the the stern presents no problems for us - actually there is a cavernous lazarette across the stern between the aft cabin and the sugar scoop stern.

I have to say, I understand your wife's concerns about living permanently on a small boat, I would be looking for something like a Thames sailing barge, 80 - 90ft. long x 20 - 22ft. beam for that purpose.

Peter.

Hi Craig the main cabin has plenty of room I’m 6’2” and never had a problem. The forward cabins are around 5’10” in the doorway and much more headroom either side. The aft owners cabin doors are slightly lower but never a problem once you’ve learnt how to duck. The 44 is truly a great boat with plenty of space, great sailing, along with a feeling of a solid boat in heavy seas.
John

Hi Craig the main cabin has plenty of room I’m 6’2” and never had a problem. The forward cabins are around 5’10” in the doorway and much more headroom either side. The aft owners cabin doors are slightly lower but never a problem once you’ve learnt how to duck. The 44 is truly a great boat with plenty of space, great sailing, along with a feeling of a solid boat in heavy seas.
John
Thanks for the help John . Cheers C

Hi Craig,

A Moody 44 would certainly be a better bet than a 34 for living aboard, the three biggest benefits being more storage space, a roomier sleeping cabin and a larger galley. The passage cabin can serve as yet more storage space, leaving the forward cabin as a guest room, with it's own en suite. On our 425, predecessor to the 44, sleeping with your head near the the stern presents no problems for us - actually there is a cavernous lazarette across the stern between the aft cabin and the sugar scoop stern.

I have to say, I understand your wife's concerns about living permanently on a small boat, I would be looking for something like a Thames sailing barge, 80 - 90ft. long x 20 - 22ft. beam for that purpose.

Peter.
Thanks for your help Peter , cheers C

Back