Moody DS 45 Moody DS 41 / 45 / 54 owner experience / advice

J

Juan-Pablo Santini

Hi there, thanks for accepting me to the group.
Any Moody 41 / 45 / 54 DS owner here that can share his/her experience with us?
My wife and I are planning to buy a sailboat for full time cruising in a couple of years from now.
Moody 41 or 45 DS is in first place in our short list.
Interested in owners experience with DS Bluewater capabilities considering Deck Saloon adds some weight on deck and raise center of gravity of the boat.
Also if it's possible to steer the boat from the Saloon while on sail, at least while under the same tack.
Any experience adding arch for solar panels and/or adding solar panels over the Saloon roof.

I'm here for the same reason .. :), thinking about 41DS. Any insight will be highly appreciated.

Hi,
It is possible to steer from inside using the auto-helm controls, I have used wireless remotes a few times for auto-helm and this is also useful and relatively inexpensive to add due to the lack of wiring required.

I have crossed the Atlantic a couple of times in a DS and is by far my favourite style of boat as you can happily be on watch in any weather whilst remaining, warm, dry and safe! I would sail anywhere in one!
Here is a review from Yachting World this year about the 41DS:- yachtingworld.com/review
Adding solar to the roof is the most sensible place for certain.

As my Nephew and his Captain said - It's a Moody! My Nephew bought a 2020 Hanse 548. Wonderful boat. But we LOVE our 2012 45DS.

For the price of a 41DS, you can almost buy a 45DS.

After our purchase of Karma in Aug 2020, our first sail was from Hindeloopen NL to Belgium. On the North Sea we had 3 meter seas and 30~35 knot winds. She sailed wonderfully. Great performance and rock solid. At one point, we surfed at 17 knots! :)

We rented sailboats the last 30 years. I'm glad we settled on the 45DS. We are in the process of adding and arch for an extended Bimini and possibly for solar panels.

I'm glad I bought a used boat. The previous owner worked out all the bugs... and he took wonderful care of her. Many folks think she is new.

Where do you plan to keep you Moody? I used Yacht Express to move Karma from Belgium to Italy. GREAT program. Float on, Float off...

Got more questions??? Ask away.

Hi all,
Is there any updated experience specifically on the 41DS?
I'm hoping to inspect one at the end of March.

I don't know what the delivery schedule is like (I'm waiting on the broker) - I'm guessing there are no used 41DSs for sale yet.
Cheers
Bob

Don't know if I'm too late arriving to this thread, but I've been a 45DS owner for three years now, and I wish I could have asked anyone for advise back then when I purchased the boat. We took her to Denmark from Malta, and are planning to take her down south again this spring/summer, and then to Barbados next winter. We have all sorts of extra equipment onboard (watermaker, generator, aircon, solarpanels, washing-machine, deep-freezer etc. ...) and therefore some hard earned experience, which could be helpful to others.

Don't know if I'm too late arriving to this thread, but I've been a 45DS owner for three years now, and I wish I could have asked anyone for advise back then when I purchased the boat. We took her to Denmark from Malta, and are planning to take her down south again this spring/summer, and then to Barbados next winter. We have all sorts of extra equipment onboard (watermaker, generator, aircon, solarpanels, washing-machine, deep-freezer etc. ...) and therefore some hard earned experience, which could be helpful to others.
Would appreciate to hear your advises/experience. We are about to assume ownership of a 45DS with the same equipment as you listed in your thread above.

Hello all, I'm new here!
I have a MOODY 41DS, and I will be happy to share some experiences.
My boat name is JUJI, with a Swiss flag.
Best regards,
Jack

As my Nephew and his Captain said - It's a Moody! My Nephew bought a 2020 Hanse 548. Wonderful boat. But we LOVE our 2012 45DS.

For the price of a 41DS, you can almost buy a 45DS.

After our purchase of Karma in Aug 2020, our first sail was from Hindeloopen NL to Belgium. On the North Sea we had 3 meter seas and 30~35 knot winds. She sailed wonderfully. Great performance and rock solid. At one point, we surfed at 17 knots! :)

We rented sailboats the last 30 years. I'm glad we settled on the 45DS. We are in the process of adding and arch for an extended Bimini and possibly for solar panels.

I'm glad I bought a used boat. The previous owner worked out all the bugs... and he took wonderful care of her. Many folks think she is new.

Where do you plan to keep you Moody? I used Yacht Express to move Karma from Belgium to Italy. GREAT program. Float on, Float off...

Got more questions??? Ask away.

The previous owner worked out all the bugs... and he took wonderful care of her.

Yes, I have a brand new MOODY 41DS, I've been working on bugs and design errors for over a year, and it's far from over!
Be careful with new boats, there is no more support, the manufacturer sends you back to the dealer, who asks the manufacturer... A nice loop, sometimes difficult for the nerves!

Hi Jan, thank you for offering your experience. I am highly interested in a Moody 41Ds, love the light space of the deck salon and the modern style . However I wonder how hot the deck salon becomes on a hot day in the mediteranian area? Are they using double layer glass? Is ist bearable without aircon? I assume the situation is comparable on all Moody DS.
Thank you for sharing in advance
KR
Rueidger

Back