Moody 422/425 Visited a Moody 425 (for sale) this weekend...please cheer me up.

Noel Roets

Registered Guest
Dear MoA,

First of all thanks for the membership and above all: compliments on the impressive and professional site and content. Amazing! Never seen a wealth of information like this association.

I have been sailing for decades, went from 'family boats' to smaller ones when kids were grown up.

But after that same decades of climbing into our Swedish boat's small V berths (whilst unconsciously practicing yoga positions) I am at the point in life that i want to walk into bed…

Hence I am looking for some time for boats with a nice aft cabin, 'priced within reason’ and not too big (around 38-42ft).

Last week my broker got a Moody 425 for sale (Netherlands) and contacted me so this weekend an extensive visit. I had never been on a Moody and didn't know what to expect but my wife and I were 'blown away' with the centercockpit, aftcabin, deck layout, kitchen setup etc.

Blue skies in The Netherlands, Sun was shining, life couldn't be better....only eye for the nice deck, large (luxury) bedroom, headroom, beautiful table in the saloon, spacious kitchen...but then I got down to earth: I missed something that I 'perceive as normal on a yacht'....I missed a good old handpump toilet and a shower....all I saw was only a 'porta pottie toilet', and except for kitchen tab water were all toilets/showers including valves removed (!) from the boat..

We went out to walk under the hull...strange to see a 42 footer with only 2 'holes' at the water line, rest all removed and filled.
Back on board for a realistic inspection: 4 of the deck viewports showed leakage, all viewports were totally 'cracked' leaking port side bedroom window, fridge didn't work, navigation equipment didn't work, mast lights didn't work, one of the sinks was leaking, the sea rail was connected to the scepters with a piece of rope etc. to mention a few things...

Why do I post this?

Because I like to hear that this is a bad boat and when we stepped for the first time in a Moody, it was the wrong Moody.

The asking price is euro 79.900, with the original engine (of course no hours admin whatsoever).

With yachts I have a very simple rule: if an owner doesn't keep even the small things in perfect condition and up to date...

Regards, Noel

Hi Noel,

Welcome to the MOA .

You clearly found a poor example of the Moody 425 which is not impossible to save, but will take a lot of money to return to a serviceable condition. I have to say that, in my experience, Boats in the Netherlands are generally well looked after by their owners, but in this specific case, clearly not. You need to remember that any Moody 425 is between 33 and 36 years old and has probably had a few previous owners. Her condition and value today will be almost entirely dependent on how those owners, and particularly the most recent one, have looked after her.

In my persona; view, the boat you describe is not worth the price being asked, as you will need to spend a lot of money refitting both the heads, fitting holding tanks, replacing or reglazing all hatches and portlights. It seems likely a new engine will be required before long and you have not mentioned the condition of the sails, the rig, including the two furling systems or the electronics. It seems to me you would be best advised to walk away from it and seek a Moody in better condition.

The Moody 425 is, indeed a great boat, we've had ours for 14 years now. The 41, 419 and 422 are earlier versions of essentially the same hull but the 41 and 419 don't have the sugar scoop stern and big lazarettes which the 422 and 425 have. The 44 was a successor to the 425 with a new hull and a more modern rig, perhaps the best of the Moodys in this size range.

If you haven't found it yet, all the Moody models are described in the Moody Archive, here:

Happy hunting and I hope you find your Moody before too long. I think you will know you've found her the first time you see her!

Peter.

It's a bad example of a Moody. Most Moody owners love and maintain their boats well. Occasionally 'life gets in the way' and the boat is neglected and they become a'project boat'.

If you look at a few more I'm sure you'll find your Moody.

Thanks Paul,

For sure I do, this forum is a great resource...but seeing a beautiful boat neglected in its fundamentals (that are easy to maintain) and then try to sell quick hursts on the eye.

Back