Moody 44 (70s) Would a cutter rigging be from factory?

Peter Hansell

Registered Guest
A Moody 44-1 has caught my attention. As the owner nowhere to be found, only have a broker for insight. The boat is rigged with a detachable/moveable staysail inside the jib triangle. Question, could this setup be original from the factory?

Hi Peter and welcome to MOA,

As far as I am aware, it was not formally offered as a factory option on the Moody 44, but Moody were willing to make adjustments, such as fitting a removable cutter stay, at the original owner's request. Of course, they charged accordingly for such changes to the spec.

Equally, any previous owner may have had the cutter stay fitted at any time in the boat's history.

The feature I would look for with a cutter stay is something to stop themast being pulled forward by that stay either running backstays or a jumper strut with jumper stays.

Peter.

Peter,
Thanks for the update about the (typical) factory original rig, and owner options, concerning the cutter rigging of the Moody 44.
As I am unsure how to recognize running backstays or a jumper strut, I need to research the subject; then, I will look at the photos I have and search for signs of such on the mast, spreaders or maybe something else on the deck. Yet, as the mid & aft deck was covered with a large tarp, protecting the boat and gear from the sun, this might be a challenge.
Oh yes, appreciate you welcoming me to the MOA site.
Certain vessels resonate with me when I walk the decks, others, not so much. I kept circling this Moody even though I was at the marina to check out another boat.
Thanks again for your responses, Peter

Further updates: I found another post about this Moody 44. It was written by the previous owners. They considered the clutter rigging to be original.

This data point encouraged me to review Giles designs for racing. Does appear a cutter rig can be found on a number of boats. I have reached out to the Archives of Giles work. Sent a general email asking what information they have concerning this one hull, #534. Time will tell if they respond.

Back