Moody 42 CC Ketch 1978 Moody 42 CC keel

Bret Bourg

Registered Guest
I am considering a 1978 Moody 42 CC. Is the keel molded integrally with the hull or bolted on. If bolted, will I have to cut through the interior liner to access/inspect for condition? This vessel has not been hauled since 2016 but other than minor storm damage, she shows well otherwise from the waterline up.

Hello, I have a 1977 M42 AC which is the same hull. My keel is definitely molded and integral!

Hello, I have a 1977 M42 AC which is the same hull. My keel is definitely molded and integral!
Thanks for the quick response.Do you know if leaks in the keel area are common with this design? The current owner

Thanks for the quick response.Do you know if leaks in the keel area are common with this design? The current owner
The current owner say the leak only appears when on the hook or at a dee water dock. The vessel now sits at a shallow dock. The leak disappears when she's sitting on the bottom.

I wouldn't expect to see any leaks from the keel itself. The only place there could be leaks are through hull penetrations (i.e seacocks, stern gland, log transducer etc.).

That said, there are of lot of places from where water split inside from areas such as under heads sinks or behind lockers etc. where water could be pooling in the hull.

A leak stopping when sitting on the bottom appears strange - that could imply one of the penetrations may be loose and, when compressed by sitting on the bottom, closes up. It could also be from a hull penetration near the waterline which comes out of the water when sitting on the bottom.

Definitely requires deeper investigation in my opinion.

I wouldn't expect to see any leaks from the keel itself. The only place there could be leaks are through hull penetrations (i.e seacocks, stern gland, log transducer etc.).

That said, there are of lot of places from where water split inside from areas such as under heads sinks or behind lockers etc. where water could be pooling in the hull.

A leak stopping when sitting on the bottom appears strange - that could imply one of the penetrations may be loose and, when compressed by sitting on the bottom, closes up. It could also be from a hull penetration near the waterline which comes out of the water when sitting on the bottom.

Definitely requires deeper investigation in my opinion.
I have worked in and around marinas/boatyards off and on since the mid 70's. The vessel I'm looking at is the first Moody I have encountered. She is certainly stout and now that I have an idea of the underwater construction, finding the source should be a bit easier once the haul out occurs. Thanks for the info!

Attachments

• IMG_20240121_134837842_BURST000_COVER.jpg
    IMG_20240121_134837842_BURST000_COVER.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 42
Back