Non Boat Specific Edited title; we're no longer looking for a Moody. Thank you all!

Martine Loeffen

Martine Loeffen
Boat name
NALU
Berth
Zeeland
Boat type
Moody 346
Cruising area
Zeeland
My partner currently owns a Victoire 1270 and while we both love this boat, he's more and more seriously considering selling her and looking for a Moody 44, 422 or 425.

We've been on smaller Moody's and I own a 346, but we've not been able to find a 44/422/425 to see if maybe we could have a look inside.

My partner is 6'3/6'4" (192cm) on his bare feet and he's a liveaboard, so he wants to see where he has headroom and just get a general feel for these bigger Moody's. We saw a 44 in Bruinisse recently, but nobody onboard and when we came back she'd left already.

We're located right near the province of Zeeland near Bergen op Zoom / Breda but wouldn't mind driving out and making a day of it.

Again, she doesn't have to be for sale, he (we) just wants to take a good look around, on deck and inside, and get some first hand information before he actually puts a "for sale" sign on his Victoire ...

Thanks for any and all help!

Last edited:
Hi Martine,

I'm afraid I can't help with a viewing close to your home, but we have a M425 in Suffolk Yacht Harbour, the other side of the North Sea, which you're welcome to look over if you happen to be in the UK at any time. In the meantime, I can share my view of these lovely cruising yachts which may help you look out for features when you get aboard any of them.

As you probably already know the 422 and 425 are the last 2 of 4 models built on basically the same hull moulding, starting with the 41 and the 419; and the 44 is the successor to this series built on a new hull moulding with slightly more modern lines and a more modern rig (swept back spreaders and no forward lower shrouds).

The 425 is, in my view the best of the series of 4 from the same hull, not just because we have one but because it is the culmination of the evolution of that design.The 422 and 425 have no cockpit locker, but a large lazarette across the stern, together with a sugar scoop stern and bathing platform not featured in the 41 and 419. Removing the cockpit locker makes for yet more room down below and, in the 425, access to the aft heads from either the vast aft cabin or the saloon. This is a useful feature on passage in heavy weather so those on watch can access the heads without dripping sea water on the saloon bunks. I have long valued direct access to heads galley and chart table from the foot of the companionway on yachts for this reason.

The 44, as the successor to the 425, continues the design evolution with a longer waterline (faster passages) improved rig which has a single chainplate for all 3 shrouds each mounted in what looks like a better engineered fashion to a grp box bonded to the hull rather than the marine ply knee on the earlier designs, which is prone to weakening if it gets damp. The full width lazarette is banished to the two corners of the stern deck making room for the aft bunk to go further aft between the two and allowing the steering gear to be positioned in a better protected position than the damp bilge under the lazarette where this is found on the 425. These further developments, in my view, make her the best of the Moodys you are considering. The 44 also saw the fuel tank move from under the aft cabin berth to ahead of the engine - improved from a weight disfribution viewpoint but limiting access to the front of the engine.

Unfortunately, in my view, the trendy designers got at the initial saloon layout on the 44, resulting in the curly setee to port and the vast armchairs to starboard, but towards the end of this model's run, Moody saw sense and reverted to the more traditional, and practical, straight saloon layout with setees either side of a good sized table - much more practical at sea. Of course there are folk who prefer the earlier layout but for me this later saloon layout is the best. If you look at the layout of the accomodation on the Moody Archive, you will see these differences and that, for the 44, Moody offered layout options fore and aft of the saloon.

Happy hunting!

Peter.

Last edited:
We have a 44 with the curvy seating and armchairs. The aft cabin is fabulous and we like the dressing room version giving excellent storage. However the lack of a seaberth was a concern. We have therefore modified the starboard armchair arrangement. We now have a very nice sofa instead and will soon be cutting through foreward and making a trotter box in the bunk room. This will give extra and pretty essential length for the seaberth. So far its worked really well and we have just had all the new upholstery done. I will post pics at some point. Many owners like the armchair arrangement but we preferred a sea berth and plain sofa.

Update ... we've been on several Moody's, up to 44 ft, but he can't even get his legs under the nav table, or use the heads without doing boatyoga (which we both feel can be a dangerous combination ;)).

We've given up on Moody being right for him, sadly.

Good news is we did find a great boat with great headroom (and everything else) so he is selling the Victoire, but my 346 will be our only Moody.

Martine, out of interest what is the boat you have chosen that does provide the headroom needed?.

Hi Kit,

You may want to sit down for this one ;)

So far we've found one boat that offers not just the headroom (in the entire boat) but also the comfy seating, beds etc. as well as being able to use the nav table and all the other stuff that becomes important when your boat is also your home.

Drumroll please ... the Amel Super Maramu. Here's an example of one on YT:

She has some major advantages, but also some rather major disadvantages. But all in all, chances are good he'll end up with an Amel SM.

Hi Martine,

This is a cruising yacht where, unusually, the word super is not misused. I hope you both enjoy her.

Peter.

Most impressed. Yes in the same category as Moody for strength, build, seaworthiness and safety and obviously exceeds in head height. Happy sailing

Back