Moody 336 MkII / S336 Looking for advise on a potential purchase

Joern Dageroth

Temporary Member
Hello - we're first time buyers looking for some advice on a potential purchase; specifically if the wet spots in the woodwork covering the chain plates are a red flag and we should walk away, or if it's something we can easily fix. Any help would be really appreciated!

The boat is a Moody 336 bilge keel which had the standing rigging renewed four years ago but did not get much love otherwise.

We checked it out yesterday and found few things which we're not sure about.
  • The keels have a large amount of rust on them, but after closer inspection it appears it's only on the surface and looks like it could be easily sanded off.
  • You can see from the side of the hull, various parts of the antifoul has come off and on the ruder there seems to be a fiberglas patch comming off probably resulting from a failed repair.
  • Finally, and most importantly, the wood in the saloon has some dark and wet spots, but I could not identify the root cause.
We're struggling to know how serious this is. My gut feel is to walk away, but I'm far, far away from really knowing about these things properly....

Thanks a lot for any help!

Attachments

• IMG_8582.jpeg
    IMG_8582.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 114
  • IMG_8581.jpeg
    IMG_8581.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 103
  • IMG_8545.jpeg
    IMG_8545.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 103
  • IMG_8558.jpeg
    IMG_8558.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 99
  • IMG_8574.jpeg
    IMG_8574.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 102
Hi Joern,

The deficiencies you identify may or may not be a real concern. but added together may not be cheap to rectify.

Starting with the easiest, the rusty keel. Sanding will help you get a coat of antifoul on for a season, but won't get rid of all the rust or, more importantly, all the salt in the pores of the cast iron. A fuller cure will be to grit blast the keel, then pressure wash it with fresh water before grit blasting lightly once more to get rid of the gingering caused by the washing. Without that, the salt in the cast iron pores will cause more rusting. However, this cure won't be cheap and would only be justified if you planned to Coppercoat her. Sanding and wire brushing tend to drag iron over the pores leaving salt and iron trapped inside so is not helpful. Grit blasting and needle gunnimg are more effective at getting rust off cast iron. I would guess that more than half the 30 year old boats with iron keels are in a worse state than your photos show, so it is certainly not a walk away issue.

If the antifoul is coming off, that's what it's meant to do.

The rudder patch may be something and may be nothing - it's quite possible the rudder is half full of water. Again, many 30yearold grp yachts are sailing around with water in their rudders and the owners not even aware, further investigation is needed to see whether a repair is needed. Perhaps a matter for your surveyor.

The damp spots around the chainplates may be a concern. Where the chainplates penetrate the side decks, there are little stainless steel plates fixed to the deck around the chainplates to keep them watertight. The sealant used for these plates tends to dry out over the years and crack. Owners who know about this rebed the little sealing plares every few years. If this has not been done on this boat, the sealant will be about 30 years old. The chainplates themselves are bolted to a marine ply part bulkhead behind the cabinetry and these part bulkheads are tabbed to the hull down to a level well below the bunk, If the penetration leaks over the years the part bulkhead gets damp and starts to rot. In extremis, the timber can get so rotten that the bolts tear through he timber and he rig loads push the deck up - it can lead to loss of the rig, but I've never heard of a case that got that far. A good check to make is to use a straight edge around the chainplates on the deck to look for any bulges - a bulge here is a serious issue. However, the damp showing may be from another source, so you really need to inspect the part bulkhead where the chainplate is bolted on to it to see whether it is damp or dry. This isn't easy as it's all hidden behind cabinetry. We have installed inspection hatches for this purpose others have used an endoscope with much smaller holes. This is certainly an issue you should ask your surveyor to look into. If any of the part bulkheads are soggy or rotten, the cabinetry will have to come out to replace the part bulkheads. If the sealing plates have been leaking for along time, there may also be a problem with water in the balsa deck core around the chainplates, Some models of Moody don't core much of the side decks and others had quite a lot of coring there. I don't know how much coring wasused on the M336.

Even in the worst case, thee is an argument not to walk away, but to determine the extent of the problem and get an estimate for the cost of repair. You can then make an offer reduced by the repair cost or ask the vendor to get the repair done prior to sale.

Hope this heps,

Peter.

Depends on how desperate you are for a 336 bilge keel as not that many were made. As Peter has said the chain plates are difficult to examine and no doubt the current owner wont be wanting to to either dismantle the carpentry or drill inspection holes, if I remember correctly someone on here has produced a guide to repairing the chain plates, but its a reasonably comprehensive job, if it wasn't for the 336 then it was for another model? The yacht is likely to be 30 years old so no doubt if these have been neglected then there is other things such as engine, age/condition of the sails, running rigging, electronics etc etc. that need consideration. In the end it will come down to how much you are buying the yacht for and how much you are prepared to do and whether the price reflects that work. Of course if you need to bring in contractors to do the work then that is going to be even more expensive. Good luck.

You guys are awesome. Thanks for the support and help. The offer for sanding the keel and completely redoing the antifouling, epoxy, etc. is around 11.500 EUR. Even more concerning: I found Alasdair's article on strengthening the chainplates. The amount of work is quite overwhelming for me. As probably nobody can reliably estimate the repair costs (and if the sandwich deck is affected) I will probably not pursue a purchase. However, nice boat especially as a bilge keel.

Good morning
Do you have the details of the boat and know if it is still for sale.

I have a 336 bilge and have a friend also wanting one

Hi Richard, the boat is still available, please have look. Keep in mind that you probably will have to pay VAT when importing to England.

Price was negotiable ...

Thank you very much

I was lucky enough to get mine from bucklers hard, and I sail out of Eling Sailing Club.

Back