Boat name
LIBERTY
Berth
Pittwater, Sydney NSW
Boat type
Moody Eclipse 43
Cruising area
Australian East Coast
I have just had the results of a survey on the Moody 43 Eclipse I have an offer on and it has come back with a few minor issues which I was already aware off however the keel shows cracking in the antifoul on the keel/hull join which the surveyor says is a movement crack. There is some minor corrosion on the top of most keel bolts but one in particular is badly rusted (picture). Is this a cause for major concern i.e. drop the keel and replace all bolts or is it to be expected on a 1991 boat and should just be monitored? Thanks to everyone for your assistance.
20210629_105409.jpg
20210629_105257.jpg
20210629_133342.jpg
20210629_133207.jpg
20210629_133627.jpg

Hi Peter,

In my personal view, from the photos you have provided, this boat does not have a significant problem. The reason that keel to hull joints are made with a material that dries to a hardish rubber like consistency is that the joint inevitably moves when sailed hard. The exterior cracking, both from corrosion and movement will easily clean up and repaint. The rust ones are in my view, the slightly more concerning - if not attended to, over years the rust can migrate across the top face of the keel to the keel studs, then start them corroding, at which point the only cure is to drop the keel and remake the joint. With the minor rusting shown in your photos, I would grind out the rust as far as practical, repaint any exposed iron with a rust and moisture tolerant epoxy primer replace any joint material lost with Sika 292i or 3M 5200, then replace the antifoul. For the movement cracks, remove any flaked off antifoul and repaint.

The condition of the stud tops and nuts is remarkably good, bearing in mind that the studs nuts and backing plates are all carbon steel. Marine Projects, who built these boats, avoided stainless steel because of concerns about crevice corrosion. Some corrosion is almost inevitable as salt water gets into the bilge, e.g. when cleaning the log transducer. If their appearance offends you, you could clean them with a wire brush and paint them with a tough, rust tolerant finish such as Hammerite.

Many members have drawn a stud for inspection and they invariably find that the stud below the backing plate is in perfect condition

There is an article on this in our technical library, but I'm not sure that you have access to it as a guest. Temporary membership is not expensive and would convert automatically to full membership for no extra charge if you bought a Moody.

My opinion of the significance of your surveyor's findings is of limited value as it is based entirely on a few photos and I am not a professional marine surveyor.

Peter.

Hello Peter,

I know your boat as it belonged to a friend of ours from Townsville. He bought Liberty in Adelaide and had the motor fail before he got to the Victorian border so the new one went in. The owner was a sparky so he delighted in the work he did. The window shades were made by my wife and yes I can tell you about the Keel Bolts. I have replaced all the keel bolts but in the process I discovered the bolts were OK, it was the nuts that had badly corroded. Attached is an article I wrote for the Moody Owners Association that explains the process I went through.

I don’t believe it would be necessary to drop the keel even though that would be the ultimate solution. With 17 bolts holding the keel on It is more secure that most yachts providing they are torqued high enough. I took numerous photos during the process and I am happy to share with you.

We are currently on our Moody 43 at Mooloolaba and you can contact me direct on 0427535459 or crosbiepandl@iinet.net.au

They are a great boat. Easily handled and can go anywhere.
Regards

Paul

Attachments

• Successfully changing keel studs March 2018.docx
    233.3 KB · Views: 499
Hi Paul, Thanks for the article on keel bolts. I just read it and was very informative especially the part about chipping away around the plates. I already have an 18 volt rattle gun and impact sockets so I think first course of action will be to pull out a couple of studs and check them.

Hi Peter,

If you chip off the flow coat and clean up the nuts with a wire brush, you will be surprised how good most of them look. Rust occupies about 8 times the volume that the steel it came from did, so you get an awful lot of rust for very little loss of steel. Even the one in your first photo will clean up remarkably well.

The flowcoat was not a good idea for painting the nuts, studs and backing plate - I guess they used it because they were painting the bilge with it anyway. Hence my advice in post#2 above, but Paul seems to have an alternative approach.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for posting your article, I had not seen it before. I was particularly interested to see that the Eclipse 43 has 5 M30 keel studs - all the other models from Moody 27 to Moody 44 seem to make do with M24 - they just use more on the bigger boats (one model, I forget which, has a single smaller stud for the aftmost). I believe the same applies to the Sigmas, also built by Marine Projects.

Peter.

Hello Paul
what torque did you set the nuts to please?
thanks
phil

Back